A warm homemade dish perfect for the
in-between of seasons. Featuring a vegetarian
sweetcorn stock with mixed veggies and garlic,
a creamy risotto with caramelized scallops,
a fresh snap of asparagus and snow peas,
complimented with gremolata and fresh basil.
Scallop & Sweetcorn Risotto
- 2 brown onions
- 2 sticks celery, roughly sliced
- 1 carrot, roughly sliced
- 7 cloves garlic
- 2 cobbs corn
- 1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced
- 12 snow peas, trimmed
- 12 snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Zest 1 lemon
- 12 QLD scallops
- First make the sweetcorn stock. Roughly chop one of the onions and place into a saucepan with the celery, carrot and 5 cloves of garlic. Cut the corn kernels from the cobb and set aside. Place the corn cores into the saucepan with the other veggies and add the parsley stalks and peppercorns. Cover well with cold water, add a good pinch of salt then bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes before straining. You will need 1.2L of stock. Keep this hot.
- For the risotto, finely dice the other onion and chop 2 cloves of garlic
- Place a large saucepan over a medium/high heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil, the onion, garlic and corn kernels with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes then add the rice and cook stirring for another 1 minute before adding the wine. Cook until absorbed.
- Begin adding the hot stock to the rice, a little at a time and cook stirring continually, until it is absorbed into the rice and the risotto is becoming creamy and the rice al dente.
- Add the asparagus, snow peas and snap peas to the pan, stirring through for the last 3 minutes then remove the pan from the heat and add the parmasean and 3 tbsp of butter, stirring through to create a creamy texture.
- At the same time, season the scallops and place a large skillet over a high heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan along with the scallops and cook for 20 seconds then add the 1 tbsp of butter and let it foam and caramelize before giving the pan a quick shake to coat the scallops and tipping them onto a plate. Serve the risotto topped with the scallops, gremolata and basil.
Check out more delicious and inspiring recipes for desserts, midweek dinners and more here